Cerner Scholars: Computing and Technology in a Working Environment
Students who have taken at least one semester of Software Development, Network Engineering, or Cybersecurity at Summit Technology Academy or have gained significant networking, programming, or cybersecurity skills at their own sending school can apply to for The Cerner Scholar experience.
The Cerner Scholar experience provides high school junior and senior students with a deeper learning experience related to their interest in computing and technology and/or business operations. The experience puts students in a real working environment with expected project deadlines.
Cerner Scholars are aligned to Cerner teams and have assigned Cerner managers.
More about Cerner Corporation
Cerner is transforming health care by developing tools and technologies that make it more efficient for care providers and patients to navigate the complexity of our health. From single offices to entire countries, Cerner solutions are licensed at more than 25,000 facilities in over 35 countries.
Learn more about Cerner Corporation
Cerner Scholars from Summit Technology Academy are typically working at one of these Cerner Campuses in the Kansas City Area
I-435 & Bannister
Lee's Summit Technology Campus
470 & 50 highway
I-435 & 87th St
More about Cerner Scholars
- STA Cerner Scholars are at a Cerner location/team working ~2.5 hours a day, 5 days a week. Students are usually at Cerner during AM hours (8-10:30) OR PM hours (12-2:30).
- STA Cerner Scholars are at a Cerner location/team either one semester or 2 semesters within a school year.
- Cerner Scholars are unpaid, students receive high school and sometimes college credit through their sending education partner.
Example Cerner Scholar Projects could include:
- Technical support for internal and external Cerner clients
- Collect and analyze data
- Help to create workflow tools
- Work with servers and hardware data center installs
- Web stack development
- Query Scripting
- Basic solution scripting and troubleshooting
- SQL translations
- Troubleshooting devices
- Creating PowerPoints and marketing material
- Creating and running automation scripts
- User Interface Development
- Exposure and work with operating system and database technologies (Linux, Unix, Windows, SQL, etc.)
Qualifications for Student to be considered for Cerner Scholar Experience
- Participating with Cerner approved education partner – Summit Technology Academy is an approved education partner
- Interest in technical and/or operational focused classes and coursework. Shown engagement in classes and coursework that aligns with Cerner business (technical/operational/health)
- Completed all requirements of their sending program
- Alignment with agreed upon skillsets between education partner and Cerner
- Junior or Senior in High School
- 95% or higher attendance rate in high school, must maintain while in Cerner Scholar Program
- Successfully pass Cerner application and interview process
- Able to provide own transportation or transportation provided through sending education partner
- Able to devote two semesters to the Cerner Scholar experience OR at least one semester (depending on education partner); at least 2.5 hours 5/days a week
How to Apply – Summit Technology Academy Guidelines
Students who have taken at least one semester of Software Development, Network Engineering, or Cybersecurity at Summit Technology Academy or have gained significant networking, programming, or cybersecurity skills at their own sending school can apply to the Cerner Scholar experience.
Applications for 2019-2020 Cerner Scholars due September 27, 2019
Learn about the Cerner Scholars selection process
Hear from previous Cerner Scholars
Ready to apply?
Apply for Internship in STEM to be considered for Cerner Scholars
The first step toward this incredible internship opportunity is for students who are interested in the Cerner Scholars Program to apply for Internship in STEM through Summit Technology Academy. Interested students should also include that they have an interest in Cerner Scholar in their application essay.